Thursday, November 12, 2020

When life cuts you down....



For the past week or so, our nation has been in even more turmoil than it's already been in 2020 as a result of the US presidential election.  Many conservatives (of which I am one) are very concerned about the direction that our country will be taken with the leadership of the so-called-but-NOT-official presidential-elect Joe Biden.  I, however, am concerned, but I am not devastated nor am I overly anxious.  As a Christian whose faith is in God, Jesus, and the Bible, I know that God is in control and whatever He allows will be for our good.  ("And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28)

Recently, while out Soulwinning with my pastor's wife, two of her grandsons, and my daughter, we came across this tree pictured above.  The tree had at one time been cut down to a sizeable stump.  You might think its life was completely over and its ability to be useable was very limited; however, the little sapling growing out of the tree gives evidence that this is not so!

I had already been thinking about how my life just five years ago was very different from my life now.  In mid-October of 2015, the first of many changes came:  I found out that my good mommy friend at church and her family were going to move out of state.  Her husband had tried for over a year (after being laid off due to finances) to get a good job to support his family but was unable to do so.  Gracie and I spent two weeks helping them pack and load their belongings before seeing them off.  A little more than a week later, our pastor announced his effective-immediately resignation.  The very next day my mom, who had already been sick with bronchitis or some other respiratory illness, was sent to the ER by her PCP.  This began five months of tag-teaming with my brothers to take care of her before she went to Heaven.  In the midst of all that, my daughter's pediatrician retired and my dentist no longer accepted my insurance.  We also acquired a new pastor -- which has been The Best Thing to happen out of that terrible time.  In the years since then, we have also lost my grandfather and we have experienced deception and betrayal by people we never would have thought would do that to us (or to anyone).

But God . . . HE is FAITHFUL.  Through it all, He has been unchanging, merciful, and gracious.  No matter what comes our way, we can trust Him to take care of us, to guide us, and to make things turn out all right even when it doesn't look like it!

As we enter this Thanksgiving season, let us be mindful of how good God is and how He keeps His promises.  HE will never turn dirty to get His way; yet, He is all-powerful and will make things turn out the right way.

What are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Recommended Book: 8 Great Smarts

 I can’t praise this book enough! 8 Great Smarts by Kathy Koch Your child IS smart!!